Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Away and Being Away

I have been unwell lately. Sufficiently so that I've been on medical leave for almost two weeks and won't be back at school until next week.

I've been away from my blog too because I'm just trying to focus on feeling better. It's not been a great time, honestly. On the plus side, the knee I injured early in my last rotation is actually feeling better since it has actually had time to heal and I've had lots of time to read. I've also had time to actually see my doctor about some ongoing issues and stuff is actually getting addressed, which is good.

Needing to be off on medical leave unexpectedly is certainly never a good thing, but it has allowed me time to recover that I did very much need, so there's that.

I'll be starting back right at the start of my emergency medicine elective and I'm quite looking forward to it. While I don't think it's the field for me, it does have incredibly important skills (this is true of all rotations, I suppose) that I'm looking forward to learning. Emergency management is part of what OBs do so that's pretty important to get to know.

Plus I'll be rotating with some absolutely awesome classmates, so there's that.

In three weeks, my older two kids are going to be heading off to the Island for the month of July and half of August. I'll be heading down to join them in late July for an elective. We've worked out a fairly decent approach to the trip this time. My parents are going to be flying here, picking up our SUV and the kids (+/- the dog) and driving back. They get to use the SUV the whole month of July, and it's much, much better to drive for 17 hours in a comfortable Highlander than in their little Nissan.

This means that when I go home for my elective, I can fly which saves me doing the drive by myself again. My husband will be flying down to join us during the second week of my elective, and then we'll all drive back together.

Works out.

It's a working "vacation" for me, essentially, but I think it's very important to have as much interaction with the Island medical system as I can. It's important for deciding whether I can reasonably go back. While I'm there, I plan to ask to meet with the OB department to discuss the possibility of being a family doctor who does deliveries vs the likelihood of being able to return home to practice if I pursue OB.

We'll see, anyway.

I'm just looking forward to getting home at all. The Island in the summer is a magical place and I miss it desperately.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better soon. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete