Sunday, 23 April 2017

I See You Little Bones

My husband made chili and homemade biscuits for supper. This has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of my post, but I just wanted to document somewhere that he actually made biscuits using my family recipe, and did an amazing job. He keeps saying he can't bake, but he keeps proving himself wrong.

Anyway, to medicine.

For my final assignment for my ICU rotation - which was a fantastically educational rotation to have done - I have to write a two page reflective paper.

This is not what I would call a challenge, given my tendency to reflect at length about absolutely everything (incidentally this is public post number 1060. I have 142 in draft.) The question was which topic to pick of the many I identified whilst there. Eventually I settled on something that might quirk a few eyebrows, but I think provides very strong material for reflection. Only problem is that I've written three pages and have to trim it down.

Damn my prolix nature.

Next up is ortho, which feels like it is going to be rather intimidating. Ortho is not my natural milieu, and I had a baby three days after the end of that unit so most of what we did has gone completely out of my head.

This is a bit of a problem with all these two week rotations. I just do not have enough time to learn and actually absorb information before I'm onto the next one, and I have no time in each of the rotations to really absorb and apply the information. My exam for ortho is ten days into the rotation.

I'd planned to spend this weekend studying intensely, but between my husband being at Cub camp with our son yesterday, spending the evening in emerg with the wee one for x-rays (she's fine! Just very sore after her big sister tried too enthusiastically to get her to roll over again and accidentally twisted her backwards onto her arm. She can't move it very well, but it's not broken) and feeling just awful today, I've not gotten as much studying done as I'd like and I feel like I'm going to show up and be a huge idiot tomorrow.

But then I feel like that for every rotation, and so far only one preceptor has actually thought I'm an idiot. Or has at least expressed as much.

As for now, I'm going to go listen to some Tragically Hip (I'm doing paediatric ortho...) and read about classifying fractures.

No comments:

Post a Comment