I have 10 weeks (well 8 plus 2 vacation) elective time next year, and my next elective block isn't until January 2018, after I've applied to CaRMS.
Currently, I have these booked:
February 13th to March 26th block
1. OB/Gyn in Ottawa (2 weeks)
2. OB/Gyn (RE) in another city (2 weeks, different subspecialty)
3. Diagnostic Imaging (2 weeks, home-school)
July 17th to August 13th block:
4. Family medicine (2 weeks, home-school)
5. Emergency (2 weeks, visiting, only informally booked. Will need to apply through the portal when it comes available)
I'll be honest, I really don't want to be away from my family for a month for those first two if I can avoid it. We went through having our family broken up for months at a time when my husband worked out west and it was incredibly hard on our kids. I'm already going to be away for my paeds rotation, and could end up away for more. My kids already deal with a lot and I don't want to make things harder on them.
During the Ottawa elective, my husband and kids will be there for almost half of it. He's going to bring the kids up for Winterlude over their Family Day long weekend plus a day either side, so I'm not actually going to be away from my family for more than a few days during that one. I really wanted to ensure I do a visiting elective in Ottawa because it's #2 on my preferred locations since we like the city. My husband grew up there and I lived there for ten years, so we know it well and wouldn't mind moving back temporarily.
To my surprise, I just had two OB/Gyn electives approved locally, for the second and third elective spots above. The one in the #3 spot is with a preceptor I would REALLY like to work with, and it's primarily surgical and I'd like more surgical exposure.
I'm not sure which to take, or whether to take either. Visiting electives are the major way we demonstrate interest to prospective programs, but we also need to keep things varied. Not sure if my preclerkship electives will be considered in looking at how broad my electives were.
I do think I should probably do 3 OB/Gyn electives pre-CaRMS, but doing two at Mac might be a bad idea.
Debating whether I should take the one in the #2 spot, and then try to book another down East - again, my family will be with me - instead of that Emerg elective in August.
Honestly, I've no idea. With just a few days left to decide, though, I have to figure it out soon.